Chess classes for kids have been shown to promote critical thinking, problem solving, emotional intelligence, and a range of other crucial skills. That’s why Chess Mates have brought chess classes for kids and toddlers to Brisbane – so that your child can enjoy all of these key educational and psychological benefits too. Below is an outline of all the ways chess can help your child develop and grow.
Learning & Development Benefits
When your child learns to play chess, they will enjoy a number of learning and development benefits.
Learning chess helps your child to improve their:
- Concentration &Attention Span (your child will be engaged for half an hour during their lessons)
- Memory (your child will learn to recall the moves taught in previous lessons)
- Critical Thinking, Creativity & Planning (chess involves strategy, creativity and planning, so your child will improve in all these areas)
- SpatialAwareness (learning how different chess pieces move helps develop your child’s spatial awareness)
- Problem Solving (your child will learn problem solving skills as they work out ways to protect their pieces or achieve “checkmate”)
- Independent &Abstract Decision Making (to make a move in a chess game, your child must first make a decision in their mind)
- Emotional Intelligence (among many other things, learning to deal with, and process, the emotions of winning and losing develops your child’s emotional intelligence)
- Developing Confidence (children gain confidence through peer teaching, and even simply by learning to move a pawn in a diagonal)
With so many learning and development benefits, just imagine what chess lessons can do for your child!
Learning chess in a small class also helps improve your child’s social skills.
Your child has the opportunity to make friends in their chess class, and will learn to use chess and the other related skills they develop in their classes to make new friends in the future.
Thanks to chess classes, you can be confident your little person will never find themselves short of good friends.
School Preparation Benefits
It’s not just the learning, development and social benefits of chess classes for kids that will help prepare your child for school (though these will definitely help too!).
It’s been shown that learning to play chess from the age of 3 improves a child’s overall performance at school by nearly 20% compared to children who have not learnt chess. It helps with outcomes as diverse as reading, maths, and original thinking.
Doesn’t your child deserve a head-start like that?
Studies have shown that learning chess can help children with autism to develop emotionally, socially, and cognitively – much as it helps other children develop in these areas.
Every autistic child is unique, and so are their needs. However, at Chess Mates, we have seen chess classes for kids help children with autism to develop socially as they socialise with the other students in their group. Perhaps it will do the same for your child.
Your First Class
When your child joins Chess Mates, you become part of our community. Chess will help your child leap ahead as their brains are nurtured from a tender age.
Want to learn more about our different classes? Read our programs page