The Advantages of Being Bilingual
Most children have the capacity and facility to learn more than one language. Researchers say that there are advantages to being bilingual. These advantages might include;
- Being able to learn new words easily
- Playing rhyming games with words like “cat” and “hat”
- Breaking down words by sounds, such as C-A-T for cat
- Being able to use information in new ways
- Putting words into categories
- Coming up with solutions to problems
- Good listening skills
- Connecting with others
Early Learning Languages Australia
A key part of the Australian Government’s commitment to supporting language study is the Early Learning Languages Australia (ELLA) Program. ELLA is a series of interactive applications (apps), aimed at making language learning engaging and interesting to children in preschool. Applications are now open for all eligible preschool services in Australia to join the ELLA Program in 2017.
The Australian Government has announced that $5.9 million will be provided to make the ELLA program nationally available to all preschools from 2017. In addition, Spanish and Italian will be added to the suite of ELLA apps available in 2017. In 2018, Modern Greek and Hindi will be added to the list of languages available.
Information obtained from:-